The Mitchell Fellowship Program supports Mitchell Scholars and Alumni who are pursuing opportunities for professional and personal development. The purpose of the program is to ensure that Scholars and Alumni don’t have to decline or forgo special opportunities just because of a lack of money. The Institute annually awards approximately 50 Fellowships to Scholars and Alumni, ranging from $500 to $1,500.
The Institute offers two Fellowship application periods each year: A fall cycle that opens October 1 and closes November 1 and a spring cycle that opens March 1 and closes April 1. The fall application period supports projects that are scheduled to occur between December and June. The spring application period supports projects that are scheduled to occur between May and September.
- Notification of decisions will be sent within three weeks of the deadline. Award checks for the spring application period will be disbursed in mid-May.
- Scholars and Alumni are eligible to apply if they have not received a Fellowship Award in the last 12 months.
- Recipients are asked to complete a community service project within one year of receiving the award.
Mitchell Fellowships are awarded to applicants for a broad range of activities such as:
- Unpaid or underpaid internships
- Travel or accommodation costs associated with professional or personal development opportunities such as internships, conferences, career-related service projects, study-abroad opportunities, etc.
- Also, license and examination fees for tests like the LSAT/MCAT/GRE and Praxis or a nursing license exam
These are just some examples.
To explore the opportunities our Scholars have pursued, please see the Fellowship Awards Database.