Greetings, Mitchell Scholars!
We hope things are going well as you look ahead to the fall! We are writing to say hello, and to share some updates. We also welcome your help in taking 2-3 minutes to share your thoughts before September 1 to help us plan one of our main events: MILE II.
A few Mitchell Scholarship reminders (note: applicable only to Scholars who have remaining funds):
The Mitchell Scholarship is typically disbursed during the second week of January for the spring semester (unless you have arranged otherwise with us). The check will be sent to your college’s financial services office, and we will email you at that time to let you know. If you have not already notified us of any enrollment updates such as transferring to a new college, taking leave of absence from school (or returning from leave), early graduation plans, co-op plans, or studying off-campus, please let us know as soon as possible!
Save the dates on your calendar (may be subject to change)
Keep an eye on your email inbox and our social media channels for details about events and resources (click on the links to learn more about each event or resource):
- Wed., August 30 at 4:30pm: campus reception for University of Maine at Farmington Scholars — sign up through this link: UMF Mitchell Scholars Gathering Registration
- Early September (just after Labor Day weekend): Mitchell Institute Leadership Experience I (MILE I) registration will open for this in-person event on October 6-8 in Millinocket, Maine (space is limited, so be sure to sign up as soon as possible; priority registration will be offered to first-time attendees)
- Sun., October 1: Fall Fellowship Award application period opens to support endeavors taking place from December through May
- Thu., October 5 at 5pm: campus reception for Husson University Scholars
- Fri., October 6 (late afternoon arrival) through Sun., October 8 (until lunchtime): MILE I
- Mon., October 16 at 12pm: campus reception for Thomas College Scholars
- Fri., October 20 at 5:30pm: Mitchell Institute Fall Gala
- Wed., November 1: Fall Fellowship Award applications due
- Fri., March 1: Spring Fellowship Award application period opens to support endeavors taking place from June through November
- Sat., March 2 (9am-3pm): Mitchell Institute Leadership Experience II (MILE II) at Unum headquarters in Portland; complete this quick survey by Sept. 1 to let us know what interests you.
- Mon., April 1: Spring Fellowship Award applications due
Updates and resources:
- If you have new contact information that you have not already shared with us (college email address and personal/non-high school email address, new cell phone number if applicable), please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can more easily send updates and opportunities directly to you.
- You can find updates, event info, and resources via email, Mitchell Institute Scholar and Alumni Network on Facebook, and Instagram. The Mitchell Institute Scholars and Alumni LinkedIn group is where we share professional and leadership development opportunities and resources.
- Click here for an overview of resources for current Mitchell Scholars if you have not already checked it out. It includes descriptions of our supplemental funds that are managed by our colleague Andrea Mitchell.
- Have you been checking out our monthly updates? Be sure to check out info about free graduate admission test prep and advising with Ben Paris in last month’s issue: July 2023 Mitchell Institute update.
- We were thrilled to welcome Alex Hitchcox, External Relations Associate & Operations Coordinator, to our team last December. We know you will really enjoy getting to know her if you have not already had the opportunity.
Please reach out any time with questions or concerns, or to set up time to chat by phone, virtually, or in-person. Stay well, and good luck as you head into the fall season. We truly look forward to hearing from you!
Warmest wishes from the Mitchell Institute team —
Adam, Alex, Andrea, James, Jared, Kim, Lisa, Marc, and Sarah